TYNE TUGS AND TUG BUILDERS
A history of Tyne Tugs, their builders and owners
Above: Select the required Tug Owner by using the initial letter of the Owner's Name eg: Batey, Lawson or Tyne.
KEY BELOW: D / H / P (D = basic dimensions are shown; H = a history is given; P = one or more photographs are available)
Tug Owner: London & North-Eastern Railway Co, South Shields
The London & North-Eastern Railway Company (LNER) came into being on the 1st of January 1923 as a result of the Railways act 1921.
The company was an amalgamation of the Great Eastern, Great Northern, Great Central, North Eastern, North British and the Great North of Scotland Railway Companies.
Of special significance to the Tyne was the incorporation of the North Eastern Railway Co in the new company.
This included a presence at the ports of Tilbury, Harwich, Ipswich, Lowestoft, Grimsby, Immingham, Hull, Hartlepool, West Hartlepool, Middlebrough and the Tyne.
The LNER inherrited a large fleet of passenger ferries and operational craft such as dredgers, hoppers and tugs.
The following tugs operated on the Tyne:
| Tug Name || Year || D / H / P |
| N E R No 1 || 1909 || D / H / P |
| N E R No 5 || 1922 || D / H / P |
| -------------------- || ----- || ---------- |
The following tugs were built on the Tyne and operated by the LNER at other ports: