TYNE TUGS AND TUG BUILDERS
A history of Tyne Tugs, their builders and owners
Above: Select the required Tug Owner by using the initial letter of the Owner's Name eg: Batey, Lawson or Tyne.
KEY BELOW: D / H / P (D = basic dimensions are shown; H = a history is given; P = one or more photographs are available)
Tug Owner: Anderson & Chater, North Shields
Tug Owner: Anchor Steam Tug Co Ltd, North Shields
Anderson & Chater partnership
John Anderson and Robert Chater purchased their first tug in 1867 and then proceeded to buy and sell tugs on a regular basis, usually retaining two at any one time.
Mrs D Anderson, wife of John, was also a shareholder in certain vessels and also their sons Thomas and GR.
Robert Chater had a lucky escape in 1869 when the tug he was captain of was cut in two by a collier off Seaham Harbour.
One member of the crew was drowned.
For details of this incident see the tug ENGINEER below.
Anchor Steam Tug Co Ltd
In 1903 Anderson & Chater was converted into a limited liability company with the title of the Anchor Steam Tug Co Ltd.
James Westoll of Sunderland was also a shareholder.
The Sunderland influence was to be emphasised further in 1920 when France, Fenwick Tyne & Wear took over the company to increase its presence on the River Tyne.
| Tug Name || Year || D / H / P |
| Lord Warden || 1868 || D / H / P |
| Rainbow || 1864 || D / H / P |
| Rescue || 1869 || D / H / P |
| Triton || 1883 || D / H / P |
| -------------------- || ----- || ---------- |