TYNE TUGS AND TUG BUILDERS
A history of Tyne Tugs, their builders and owners
Above: Select the required Tug Owner by using the initial letter of the Owner's Name eg: Batey, Lawson or Tyne.
KEY BELOW: D / H / P (D = basic dimensions are shown; H = a history is given; P = one or more photographs are available)
Tug Owner: Tyne Tug Co Ltd, South Shields
Tyne Tug Co Ltd (Company No 8611), was incorporated in 1866 with an authorised capital of £20,000, though no more than £5,000 was drawn down.
The key people involved were the same as for the Tyne Hopper Co:
Archibald Stevenson, Alkali maker of Jarrow Chemical Works
William Dawson, Chemical agent at Jarrow Chemical Co
Henry Proctor, A miller at South Benton
John Turner, A butcher at Wallsend
(the last two apparently as investors - there were a handful of others with small shareholdings)
JT & WH Gibson ran the company on a day to day basis.
William Henry Gibson was company secretary and became a director of both the Tug & Hopper companies by 1911.
Tyne Tug Co Ltd was voluntarily wound up in 1917/1918
Thanks to David Asprey for details about this company.
The following tugs were owned or operated by the company: