TYNE TUGS AND TUG BUILDERS
A history of Tyne Tugs, their builders and owners
Above: Select the required Tug Owner by using the initial letter of the Owner's Name eg: Batey, Lawson or Tyne.
KEY BELOW: D / H / P (D = basic dimensions are shown; H = a history is given; P = one or more photographs are available)
Tug Owner: Tyne Hopper Co Ltd, South Shields
Tyne Hopper Co Ltd (Company No 3292), was incorporated in 1866 to take over a fleet of four hoppers of "The Tyne Hopper Company" for £3300. The original Hpper company was probably a partnership of some of those involved in the new company. The key people involved were:
Archibald Stevenson - Alkali maker of Jarrow Chemical Works
William Dawson - Chemical agent at Jarrow Chemical Co
Henry Proctor - A miller at South Benton
John Turner - A butcher at Wallsend
(the last two people were apparently investors as opposed to company managers - there were a handful of others with small shareholdings)
William Henry Gibson was the manager and secretary. See signature on letter below
The initial capital was £5,000, increased to £10,000 in 1873. Archibald Stevenson died some time between 1877 and 1882.
The company was wound up voluntarily in 1942.
In 1894 their offices were at 28 Meldon Terrace, Westoe, South Shields.
The letter below which describes the payment of dividends from both the Tyne Hopper Co Ltd and the Tyne Tug Co Ltd and confirms that the two companies were linked.
The shareholders and directors were the same as for the Tyne Tug Company.
This is further substantiated by a sequence of tug ownership in the two companies.
Tyne Hopper Co owned a single tug WALLSEND, which was wrecked in 1874.
Tyne Tug Co built a tug WALLSEND in 1875, possibly a replacement for the the vessel of the same name lost the previous year.
It is therefore likely that Tyne Hopper Co decided to put their towing interests into a separate and new company called Tyne Tug Co in 1874.
See Tyne Tug Co for a list of their tugs.
Thanks to David Asprey for details about this company.
The following tug was owned by the company:
| Tug Name || Year || D / H / P |
| Wallsend || 1866 || D / H |
| -------------------- || ----- || ---------- |
Thanks to David Asprey for the above document image