Above: Select the required shipyard by using the initial letter of the Surname eg: Eltringham, Hepple or Rennoldson.
KEY BELOW: D / H / P (D = basic dimensions are shown; H = a history is given; P = one or more photographs are available)
Shipbuilder: J & D Morris, Pelaw Main - (1847 - 1928)
The yard was built by John and David Morris at Pelaw Main a short distance downstream from Bill Quay.
Their principal activity was ship repairing however they also reputedly built some 70 new vessels during their near 80 years of existance.
In 1855 J & D Morris were advertising a "patent slip for vessels of 20 to 30 keels, plus gridirons and a good graving shore".
The yard survived a severe fire in July of 1882, when all their wooden buildings such as joiners shops etc were destroyed in the blaze. The yard was rebuilt and in its later years had 3 building berths and two slips of 238 and 350 feet respectively. However after a severe trade slump, the firm was liquidated in 1923, with their last ship GREYFRIARS still on the stocks. She was eventually completed by Mitchison of Friars Goose, Gateshead.