Above: Select the required shipyard by using the initial letter of the Surname eg: Eltringham, Hepple or Rennoldson.
KEY BELOW: D / H / P (D = basic dimensions are shown; H = a history is given; P = one or more photographs are available)
Shipbuilder: T Mitchison Ltd, Friars Goose, Gateshead
T Mitchison's small shiprepair yard was on the southern bank of the Tyne at Friar's Goose, Gateshead.
In the 1830s this site was occupied by a wooden shipbuilding yard, later becoming a repair facility known as Anderson's Slipway.
Mitchison bought the yard in 1919.
Their first ship was the GREYFRIARS which was partially built by J & D Morris at Pelaw Main, until that yard went into liquidation in 1923.
T Mitchison occupied the yard until 1955 mainly as a shiprepairer for small craft such as tugs. They had a slipway for vessels up to 230ft in length and a repairing quay.
In 1955 the yard was taken over by the London based firm of James Burness & Sons and recommenced shipbuilding. The GREYFRIARS of 1923 had been Morris' yard number 71 and Mitchisons decided to carry on with this sequence. They then built a number of small craft including fishing vessels and tugs. At this time the yard had 5 slips of up to 300 ft in length.
Following financial difficulties, the yard closed in 1964.
|Yd No||Year||Ship Name||D / H / P|
|72||1955||Kamaran||D / H / P|
|73||1955||Unknown||D / H|
|75||1956||Arthur||D / H / P|
|77||1956||Varco||D / H / P|
|78||1956||Qatif 7||D / H / P|
|79||1956||Qatif 8||D / H|
|83||1958||Sirius Cove||D / H / P|
|84||1958||Wooree||D / H / P|
|87||1959||Cashel||D / H / P|
|88||1959||Clonmel||D / H / P|
|89||1959||Orkan||D / H / P|
|91||1959||William Lamey||D / H / P|
|96||1960||Island Mariner||D / H / P|
|526||1962||Cultra||D / H / P|