RB Findley & Son, North Shields
Prior to March 1879 Robert Brough Findley was a partner in the firm RB Findlay, Son & Watson, engineers and millwrights at the Bell Street Engine Works, 68 & 69 Bell Street, North Shields. Bell Street was the western (left) extension of Union Quay, on the below map.
On 02/03/1879 Thomas Watson left the partnership.
The business was reconstituted with his son William as RB Findley & Son at the Bell Street Engine Works, North Shields. Robert lived at 151 Grey Street, North Shields and appeared to own the property. He also owned the paddle trawler CONTEST.
In May 1886, the business was declared insolvent and the assets sold off.
07/06/1886 Tenancy of the premises available for sale
24/06/1886 Plant and machinery auctioned off
The painting of ELECTRIC (below) sent in by Jane Stephenson, shows the Findley works in relation to the North Shields High Lights and therefore establishes the position of the works on the Ordnance Survey map.
Above map, dated 1894, is copyright of Ordnance Survey
Above painting of ELECTRIC (1883) shows the Findley works and the High Lights at North Shields
Painting is courtesy of Jane Stephenson